The Mission of the US Lacrosse (USL) Youth Council is to promote the game of lacrosse among the youth of the United States in a safe and sportsmanlike environment. Further the Council is committed to preserve the “Honor of the Game” for the players, coaches, officials, parents, and all others who enjoy the sport of lacrosse. To fulfill our Mission and preserve the “Honor of The Game,” the Youth Council expects that players, coaches, officials, parents, and spectators abide by a “Code of Conduct” that embodies basic common sense principles, demonstrates consideration of others, and projects a positive image to our young men and women. By doing this, USL and its Youth Council can further its efforts to maintain the highest possible standards of Sportsmanship and to work together for the betterment of the game of lacrosse at all levels, but especially at the youth level, where first impressions count the most.
The Code of Conduct
Players, coaches, spectators, and parents are to conduct themselves in a manner that “Honors the Game” and demonstrates respect to other players, coaches, officials, and spectators. In becoming a member of the lacrosse community an individual assumes certain obligations and responsibilities to the game of lacrosse and its participants. The essential elements in this “Code of Conduct” are HONESTY and INTEGRITY. Those who conduct themselves in a manner that reflects these elements will bring credit to the sport of lacrosse, themselves, their teams, and their organization. It is only through such conduct that our sport can earn and maintain a positive image and make its full contribution to youth sports in the United States and around the world. The US Lacrosse Youth Council supports the following behaviors for those participating or involved in any way with US Lacrosse and youth lacrosse in general:
- The essential elements of the “Code of Conduct” must be adhered to.
- Sportsmanship and teaching the concepts of fair play are essential to the game, and must be taught and developed both at home and on the field during practices and games. Permitting, encouraging, or condoning performance that is dangerous or demeaning to a player, coach, official, spectator, or anyone connected with the function of the game is unacceptable.
- The emphasis on winning should never be placed above the value of good sportsmanship, the concepts of fair play, or the skills of the game.
- Derogatory comments are unacceptable. Use positive reinforcement with players and adults alike. It should be remembered that criticism, once made, can never be retracted.
- The safety and welfare of the players are of primary importance.
- Coaches must always be aware of the tremendous influence they have on their players. They are to strive to be positive role models in dealing with young people, as well as with adults.
- Officials are expected to conduct themselves as professionals and in accordance with those guidelines and rules set forth in the applicable rule books and manuals; and in a manner that demonstrates courtesy and fairness to all parties while exercising their authority on the field.
- Adults involved with the game must never permit anyone to openly or maliciously criticize, badger, harass, or threaten an official. To do so is a violation of the rules of the game and must be considered unacceptable conduct. The coach must quietly and privately address all concerns to the officials at the appropriate time as defined by the rules; and if deemed appropriate, place in writing to the official’s assigning authority any significant problems with the officiating.
- Knowledge of the Rules of Lacrosse must be respected and adhered to by all who participate in the game of lacrosse, both in the letter and the spirit of the game. The Rules are designed to protect the players, provide common standards and control the game. Attempts to beat these rules, to take unfair advantage of an opponent, or to teach deliberate unsportsmanlike conduct is considered unacceptable conduct.
- Guidelines and eligibility requirements, such as age and previous level of participation, have been established to encourage and maximize participation, as well as promote safety. All who participate in the game of lacrosse must be thoroughly acquainted with these rules and regulations, and should assume the responsibility for their observance and enforcement. Attempts to circumvent eligibility rules, or to use ineligible players, shall be considered unacceptable conduct.
Coach/Assistance Coach Print Name ___________________________________________________________
Coach/Assistance Coach Signature _____________________________________